Some of the benefits of learning a language are listed below:
- It gives you a competitive edge;
- they are linked to improved intercultural skills and cultural tolerance;
- encourages social interaction;
- assists with improved concept formation, mental flexibility and the ability to multitask;
- Bilingualism can improve cognitive function;
- improves listening skills and problem-solving;
There are many benefits to learning a language. I’d love to hear your opinion. Do you agree? Should everyone learn at least one foreign language?
Joanne Ammerlaan is the National Manager for Vocational Language Learning Centre. She has been working with second language acquisition for over 30 years.