Wandersafe states the following: "Before articulating the list, I preface that humans are humans no matter what they speak. A smile and sincere greeting is the first thing that you should do before every asking anyone for anything. It sets the scene for cooperation and engaging with someone. Consider your smile a five dollar note, everyone wants one and wishes more people were giving them away freely."
1. Know how to greet someone in their language including hello, good morning, good bye etc.
2. Use polite expressions such as please, thank you, excuse me
3. Learn how to say "I don't speak _________" or "how do you say ________ in ________________"
4. Directional phrases such as "Where is the _____________" or words for water and toilet and I'm lost.
5. "how can I get there?" Is there a dress code?"
6. Food and health related phrases such as "I am gluten free" or "Do you serve _________?" or "What is the expectation for tip giving?"
7. Safety questions such as "Is it safe for me to go?"